IMM is the No1 inflight media compagny and provides you with the latest news of the media inflight industry.
Follow us for the latest news & events on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
The Global Shopper
March 10, 2015
In 2013, there were 1,088 million international tourist arrivals. According to IATA (International Air Travel Association), by 2017 there will be over 700 million air travelers. Tourism and shopping have become tightly intertwined. More and more spending on luxury takes place outside the domestic market.
The Phenomenon: Tourism is growing
- In 2013, there were 1,088 million international tourist arrivals
- According to IATA (International Air Travel Association), by 2017 there will be over 700 million air travelers
- Most visited region is Europe
- Tourism and shopping have become tightly intertwined
- More and more spending on luxury takes place OUTSIDE the domestic market
The Global Shopper:
- The global shopper is a fast-growing retail segment with a 2013 estimated global worth of 48 billion euros
- The global shopper accounts for over 60% of luxury brand sales
- He or she is a shopper who mainly travels by air, infrequently and for leisure
- The global shopper spends 4 times more than the local shopper and would be more willing to buy on impulse
- 63% of global shoppers are between 18 and 39 years old
- The number one spender is the Chinese global shopper, while the Russian global shopper comes in 2nd place
- Other emerging markets include Brazil and the Middle East
Finally, the global shopper also opens up new opportunities online since the Internet is the main booking channel for tourism/holidays having increased to 65% in 2014.
Start your inflight campaign - contact your inflight expert.